Thank you for choosing Black Bear Legal to represent you in your matter.
The form below is to be completed to capture all relevant information we require to process you as a new client and commence providing you with our legal services and advice.
Once submitted, we will get back to you as soon as possible on the next steps to take.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: By submitting this form you are warranting that the information provided within it and entered by you is true and correct. That you have read and understood the terms and conditions stated below and agree to engage Black Bear Legal to act for you in relation to the matter stated herein and pay Black Bear Legal professional fees for doing so, upon the terms and conditions stated, without exception. If you do take exception, do not submit this form and contact us to discuss your concerns.
Terms and Conditions of Engagement
1. Black Bear Legal, trading under Queensland Legal Pty Ltd (ABN 38 619 112 917) (“Black Bear Legal”) is offering to provide the client named herein with legal advice and associated legal services in relation to the matter stated herein.
2. I/We (“Client”) accept the offer and engage Black Bear Legal on these terms.
3. For the legal services provided, Black Bear Legal will charge the client on the basis of the time spent working on the matter.
4. Time will be charged in 6-minute intervals with six minutes being the minimum interval recorded for legal services. For example, the time charged for an attendance of up to six minutes will be one unit and the time charged for an attendance between six and twelve minutes will be two units.
5. The hourly rate for work undertaken by a lawyer for the legal services will be $440.00 per hour (Inc GST).
6. Black Bear Legal will render a tax invoice to the client for the legal services from time to time. All tax invoices are payable within 7 days of delivery of the invoice and interest may accrue on overdue amounts at the rate prescribed by the Legal Profession Act 2007 (Qld).
7. Black Bear Legal may request a deposit of monies into the Black Bear Legal Law Practice Trust Account as security for anticipated fees, expenses and disbursements.
8. If the client does not pay a tax invoice or deposit the money when requested, Black Bear Legal may cease providing legal services immediately.
9. The client authorises Black Bear Legal under regulation 58(3)(a)(i) of the Legal Profession Regulations 2007 to withdraw any money held for the client in its trust account to pay their tax invoices (including GST).
10. The client authorises Black Bear Legal (pursuant to section 8 of the Trust Accounts Act 1973 (Qld)) to use money that they are holding for the client in its trust account to pay their fees, costs and/or GST.
11. The client may terminate this agreement and withdraw their instructions at any time for any reason by giving notice to Black Bear Legal.
12. Black Bear Legal may terminate this agreement for any just cause by providing reasonable notice to the client.
13. If this agreement is terminated, Black Bear Legal are entitled to payment of fees, expenses and disbursements up to and until the date of termination.
14. Black Bear Legal may retain possession of the client’s file until the client has paid all money owing to it.
15. We will keep your client documents, relating to the legal work we perform for you, for seven (7) years after the engagement has ended or has been terminated. After this time, we may destroy them without contacting you again. You may request a copy of your client documents, which may be kept solely in electronic form.
16. The client authorises Black Bear Legal to communicate with them by email. This may include but is not limited to sensitive, confidential or personal information regarding the matter, documents relevant to the matter as attachments and our bills.
17. The client consents and accepts service of Black Bear Legal’s tax invoices to be effected electronically, regardless if the bill is also sent by post, pursuant to section 330(7) of the Legal Profession Act 2007 (Qld).
18. An accurate estimation of the client’s legal costs cannot be provided at this time. However, the client’s legal costs pursuant to these terms will not exceed $1,500 (Exc GST).
19. If the legal costs exceed $1,500 (Exc GST) then Black Bear Legal will provide the client with the disclosure required, pursuant to the Legal Profession Act 2007 (Qld).